melonJS 0.9.0 is available !July 7, 2011
I’m happy to tell you that melonJS is finally available. Originally I was planning to wait for the 1.0 version to be ready, but I finally realized that if I was waiting for melonJS to be perfect, I would never release it (…), so here comes the 0.9.0 version !
The following things are available through the download page :
- minified version of melonJS (0.9.0)
- source package of the library (I will put everything in github in the coming days, the time to learn how to use it correctly)
- melonJS documentation (auto-generated using jsdoc)
- a tutorial showing how to create a simple patformer using (of course) melonJS and Tiled.
Please keep in mind that this is all a first release, melonJS is still beta software (source code is not the cleanest one and still contains some debug stuff), and although I tried my best to have a good documentation and/or tutorial, it won’t be perfect at all.
I’m of course interested on any feedbacks (good and bad), either on missing information/documentation, about bug corrections, or on nice features to be added in melonJS. Feel free to contribute with anything as well.
To finish, a few words on my plan for the near future (in no particular order) :
- optimization (i.e. tilemap drawing) and bug corrections
- fully stabilize the API (lacks of coherence, or naming to be corrected)
- go mobile (touch interface)
- implement a dirty rectangle mechanism
- implement support for a “standard” spritesheet format (like texturepacker, zwoptex or something)
- add some particle management (this is not supported by the engine today)
- look at possible H/W acceleration (CSS, WebGL)
- Better integration with Tiled (if possible)
That’s all ! Hoping that you’ll have fun with melonJS,